- Driving license is as an official document, which authorizes holder to operate different types of motor vehicles on roads and highways.
- In different Indian states, the Roads and Traffic Authority or Regional Transport Office administers the driving licenses.
- A person need to have a driving license to drive a vehicle on Indian roads, as defined in Motor Vehicles Act 1988.
Kinds of Driving License
- To apply for a driving license, you need to fill up Form 4. Along with that, the driver needs to provide appropriate fees, medical certificate and effective learner’s license.
- Indian citizens can either apply for driving license or a 30-day Learner’s license issue. These licenses are made for only those vehicles, falling under LL category.
- Validity of license for non-transport vehicle is for 20 years or until the time the person reaches 50 years of age, whichever comes earlier.
- The validity of a driving license is 5 years. A renewed driving license will remain effective for 5 consecutive years.
- However, the validity of license for transport vehicles is for 3 years.
- License for driving hazardous or dangerous goods is effective for 1 year.
- International driving license is valid for a period of maximum 1 year, and not more than that. The time starts from the date of issue.
Indian nationals very often may not have identity cards. However, a modernized photo driving license can provide some added benefits to the holder. It can work as identity proof for opening a bank account or as age verification, while applying for mobile connections and so on.
How to Apply
- Go to the nearest Regional transport office and get form 4, or download it here.
- Be sure to carry these certificates: age proof, permanent address proof, passport size photo, medical certificate form 1A or 1 by a government doctor.
- Submit the application form and schedule a slot for driving license test.
- You can also apply online at: https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice/newLL_execute.do
- Phone number : 040 - 23494777 (Timings: 10AM - 6PM) only on working days.
- Email: email@example.com