- Targeted at the idea of paperless governance, DigiLocker is a cloud-based platform for issuance, verification and storage of documents and certificates in a digital manner.
- One of the key initiatives under Digital India programme, DigiLocker is envisioned as a digital highway for documents exchange across agencies by minimizing the use of physical documents.
- For ensuring the authenticity of the documents online, the sharing of the e-documents will be done through registered repositories.
- Registered Indian residents can upload their electronic documents and digitally sign them using the e-sign feature which is similar to the process of self-attestation. These digitally signed documents can be shared with government organizations and other agencies.
- Organizations that are registered with DigiLocker can provide electronic copies of documents and certificates such as driving license, Voter ID and school certificates directly into citizen’s locker accounts.
- Citizens can upload scanned copies of their documents in their accounts.
There are three key stakeholders in the DigiLocker system.
- Issuer : Entities/Organizations such as CBSE, Registrar Office and Income Tax Department which issue e-documents to individuals in a standard format and make them electronically available.
- Requester : Entities such as Universities, Passport Office and Regional Transport Office which request secure access to a particular e-document stored within a repository.
- Resident : An individual who uses the service of DigiLocker based on Aadhaar number.
The main technology elements of the DigiLocker ecosystem are:
1. Repository: A software application hosting a collection of e-documents and exposing via standard APIs for secure real-time access.
2. Access Gateway: Application for providing a secure online mechanism for requesters to access an e-document in a uniform way from various repositories in real-time.
3. Digital Locker Portal: A dedicated personal storage space assigned to each resident for storing and accessing authenticated e-documents or URIs of e-documents. The DigiLocker will be available via web portal or mobile application.
Currently, there are 7377729 registered users, 29 issuers and 9 requester organizations using DigiLocker services. Till date, DigiLocker provides access to 1748301941 authenticated documents, 8583559 uploaded documents and 409299 eSign documents. You can view the details of these DigiLocker National Statistics .
- DigiLocker is national service that can be availed by all Indian citizens.
- The services will be made available to citizens who have an Aadhaar Card number at their disposal.
- Beneficiaries need to ensure that their current mobile number is registered and synced with Aadhaar number. Mobile numbers can be updated with Aadhaar by visiting any UIDAI centre.
- Each file uploaded in the Digilocker should have a maximum size of 10MB.
- The eligibility criteria for government agencies and companies to apply for the license of DigiLocker service provider can be accessed here: DLSPEligibilityCriteria.
- DigiLocker digitally empowers residents by providing them authorized digital access to data and documents while also maintaining their privacy and safety.
- Citizens can access their documents anytime, anywhere and share it online. This is convenient and time-saving.
- You need not carry your documents anywhere nor worry about their safe storage as documents will not be lost through the secure online storage at DigiLocker.
- It reduces the administrative overhead of government departments by minimizing the use of paper.
- DigiLocker makes it easier to validate the authenticity of documents which are issued directly by the registered issuers, thus eliminating the usage of fake documents.
- You can upload your important documents using the 1 GB cloud space and keep it safe online for using them anytime.
- Self-uploaded documents can be digitally signed using the e-sign facility. This way, you can avoid the hassle of visiting offices and physically signing documents. The details of e-Sign facility can be viewed Here .
- Aadhaar-linked documents can now be automatically fetched from institutions partnered with DigiLocker. For instance, the Government of India has issued digital formats for Driving License and Vehicle Registration Certificate which can be directly accessed from your smartphones and these will now be accepted by traffic police, government and law agencies in India.
- Students from CBSE and ICSE/ISCE can now get their Class X and Class XII academic certificates (Statement of Marks/Pass Certificate/Migration Certificate) in digital formats through DigiLocker.
- Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas (IOCL/HPCL/BPCL) has recently partnered with DigiLocker for providing digital LPG subscription vouchers for customers.
- The services provided by DigiLocker are completely free of cost.
- Aadhaar Card number
- Mobile Number linked with Aadhaar
How to Apply
- You need to first register yourself by signing up at the Digilocker official website .
- At the signup page, enter your mobile number. You will receive a one time password (OTP) for authenticating your mobile number.
- After entering the received OTP, you have to select a username and password. Your DigiLocker account is then created.
- For availing additional services, you have to provide your Aadhaar number issued by UIDAI.
- Once again for verification, you can either use OTP option or fingerprint authentication.
- If you use OTP option, you will receive the OTP in your Aadhaar-registered mobile number.
- If you choose fingerprint authentication, you will have to print your thumb with fingerprint device for validation.
- You can also now access your documents and certificates from your DigiLocker app on your mobile devices. You need to first download the DigiLocker Android App from Google Playstore.
- You can also access your DigiLocker account if you have an online account at ICICI Bank or Kotak Mahindra Bank.
Structure of DigiLocker:
Each resident’s account has the following sections:
- Dashboard: This section is the home page you see when you login showing a summary of all your documents.
- Issued Documents: This section shows the URIs or links of the documents/certificates issued to you by government or other agencies.
- Uploaded Documents: All the documents uploaded by you. You can update the document type, esign and share these documents.
- Shared Documents: This shows all the documents you have shared with others (via email.
- Activity: This keep a log of the activities performed by user such file upload or download, esign, etc.
- Issuers: You can view all registered issuers who are part of DigiLocker.
- Requesters: This section has all the organizations which request you to share documents for availing their respective services.
You can find the detailed information at:
- Digilocker Official Website
- Visit resource-center to download:
- Intro presentation
- User Manual & Brochure
- eSign Brochure
- Issuer & Requestor APIs
- Technical Specification Documents
- Other links, resources
National E-Governance Division,
Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
4th Floor, Electronics Niketan,
6, CGO Complex,
New Delhi – 110003