Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- In India, the rural poor households have limited access to cooking gas due to which they rely on polluting fuels such as firewood, coal and cow-dung as primary source of cooking. The smoke from burning such fuels imposes serious health hazards and is the cause of heart diseases, strokes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer including respiratory diseases/disorders. These diseases have resulted in the death of around 5 lakh Indians, according to WHO estimates.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) aims to safeguard the health of women and children by providing them with clean cooking fuel (LPG), so that their health is not compromised by cooking in smoky kitchens.
- PMUY is a social welfare scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas launched in May 2016. Under the scheme, free LPG connections are provided by Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to the women belonging to below the poverty line (BPL) households.
- For scheme implementation, Rs. 8000 Crore has been earmarked for providing 5 Crore LPG connections in the name of women in BPL households in the next 3 years. In the first 8 months of PMUY, 1.5 Crore LPG connections were released to BPL women.
- India has set an ambitious target of increasing LPG usage to cover 80% of the households by March 2019. So far, 2,54,00,783 LPG connections have been released to BPL families covering 704 districts.
- The scheme will benefit all women above 18 years of age who belong to BPL households. Identification of the BPL families will be done through Socio-Economic Caste Census Data-2011.
- The women applicant should have a savings bank account in any nationalized bank across the country to receive subsidy amount.
- The applicant’s household should not already own a LPG connection.
- Preference will be given to SC/ST BPL households and states having lower LPG coverage than the national average.
- The scheme provides cash assistance of Rs. 1600 for each LPG connections to BPL households which will cover the cost of Security deposit for a cylinder, pressure regulator, booklet, safety hose, and installation/administrative charges.
- For those who cannot afford to buy the LPG stove and refill, OMCs will provide the option of EMI to interested beneficiaries to cover the cost of stove and first supply of gas.
- Providing LPG connections to BPL households will ensure universal coverage of clean and healthy cooking gas in the country.
- It will empower women by reducing drudgery of collecting firewood and the time spent on cooking, as well as protecting their health through a smoke-free house.
- PMUY will provide employment for rural youth in the supply chain of cooking gas.
- It will provide business opportunity to the Indian industry worth around 10,000 Crore over the next 3 years. For instance, it will give impetus to the ‘Make in India’ campaign as all the manufacturers of cylinders, gas stoves, regulators and gas hose are domestic.
Mandatory documents required while signing up for PMUY scheme are as follows:
- BPL ration card
- BPL certificate authorized by Panchayat Pradhan / Municipality Chairman
- One Photo ID e.g. Aadhaar Card / Voter ID Card / Driving license / Passport
- One recent passport size photograph
Other documents required for Ujjwala KYC application are:
- Lease agreement
- Telephone/electricity/water bill
- Self-declaration attested by Gazetted Officer
- Flat allotment/possession letter
- House registration document
- LIC Policy
- Bank / Credit Card statements
- Other basic details such as name, contact details, Jan Dhan account number /Aadhaar Card number.
How to Apply
- LPG connections will be issued in the name of women of the households. BPL women can apply for a new LPG connection (in the prescribed format) to the nearest LPG distributor outlet.
- While submitting the application form, applicant needs to provide personal details and also attach necessary documents mentioned above.
- The applicants also need to mention their requirement of cylinder type i.e. 14.2 kg or 5 kg.
- Applicants can download the Ujjwala form and the KYC form (available in English and Hindi) by clicking on http://www.pmujjwalayojana.com/download.html.
- After processing and verifying the application, the connection will be issued by the Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to the eligible beneficiaries.
- In case the consumer opts for EMI facility, the EMI amount will be adjusted against the subsidy amount due to the consumer on each refill.
You can find the detailed information at: Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
For scheme guidelines, click on: Scheme Guidelines
New beneficiaries using cooking gas (LPG) for the first time, please refer to safety tips at Consumer_Guidance.
Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas,
For queries related to the scheme, providing feedback or registering complaints, you can write to the representatives associated with the scheme at Contact Us or call at Toll Free no. 18002333555. In the URL page, you can also find the list of District Nodal officers.
There is a 24*7 helpline number (1906) for LPG leakage complaints.