National Family Benefit Scheme
The National Family Benefit Scheme (NFBS) is an integral part of the National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP). Families living below the poverty line are entitled to get financial benefits after the death of the sole breadwinner under this scheme. This scheme was launched to assure some financial help in the event of the death of an earning member.
This scheme ensures a one-time payable sum of Rs 20,000/- to the bereaved family. Any kind of death (Natural or Accidental) will make the family eligible for this assistance.
Financial assistance under the National Family Benefit or NFBS is available upon the fulfillment of the following criteria:
- The main breadwinner has to be a family member whose income constituted a major share of the family’s total earnings.
- The death of such a bread-earner should have occurred whilst she/he is above 18 years of age and below 60 years of age.
- A woman in the family, who is a home maker, is also considered as a ‘bread-winner’ under this scheme
The deceased’s family shall qualify as a family living under the poverty line.
While applying for this particular scheme, the applicants should present the following documents:
- Medical Certificate
- Two recent photos duly signed by the candidate with attestations from a Gazette-rank officer
- Income certificate: Where the income is displayed in DC/SDC/SDO formats, as prescribed by the Government.
Certificate from the employer in case of employed beneficiaries
The prime benefits of NFBS are its financial support for dependent beneficiaries. While the emotional loss or mental anguish can’t be replaced with anything, financial assistance can make life easier for the deceased’s family, especially those living under the poverty line.
How to Apply
Filled-in Application Forms are to be submitted to the designated officer appointed by the respective state governments.
At the district level the implementation of the scheme has been entrusted to Zilla Parishad or its equivalent. At the local level, the Gram Panchayat /Municipality would implement the scheme.
Find Application form here:
You can get complete information about the scheme at
Download this pdf file at http://nsap.nic.in/Guidelines/nfbs.pdf