National Merit Scholarship Scheme
- The scheme was introduced by Department of Education in 1961-62.
- Scholarship under National Merit Scholarship Scheme is given to students with excellent merits. This scholarship is given to the students of Xl to Post-Graduation.
- The scheme was revised in 1971-72 and was further extended for the students of class Vl to class X. It was named as Scheme of Scholarship at the Secondary stage and later merged with National Merit Scholarship Scheme in 2005-06. But the scheme was discontinued from 1.4. 2007.
- The Department of School Education and Literacy has recently re-introduced the scheme for students who belong to families that has low income.
- Under the name of Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship, the government has sanction around 1000 Crores for college and university students.
Who Can Apply For It?
- Students who have scored more than 80 percent in class XII from a recognized institution that is afflicted to Board of examination (under 10+2 system).
- Students of all categories (both general and reserved category) are eligible to apply for the scholarship provided they should meet the eligibility criteria.
- Students belonging to creamy layer are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Students already receiving scholarship under any other scheme cannot apply for this scholarship.
- Students applying for this scholarship should be enrolled in recognized intuition and not in distant education or correspondence course.
Rate of Scholarship
Students in graduation level will receive an amount of Rs. 1000 per month and students in the post-graduation years will receive an amount of Rs. 2000 per month. Students enrolled in professional courses will receive an amount of Rs. 2000 per month in the 4th and 5th year of their course. Students will receive the amount mentioned above only for ten months.
Students will receive the amount mentioned above only for ten months. Students up to post graduation level can renew and receive this scholarship. Those who are enrolled in professional courses can get this scholarship renewed till the graduation years of that course. Students can receive this scholarship up to the duration of five years. The students must secure 60 percent and an attendance of 75 percent to reclaim or renew the scholarship.