National Means cum Merit Scholarship
The Centrally sponsored Scheme “National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme (NMMSS)” was launched in May, 2008. The objective of the scheme is to award scholarships to meritorious students of economically weaker sections to arrest their drop out at class VIII and encourage them to continue the study at secondary stage.
- Parental Income should not be more than Rs 1,50,000/- per annum.
- Applicant shall be a regular student enrolled in class IX in a government, local body and government aided schools.
- Currently, Scholarship is proposed to be Rs 6,000/- per annum @ Rs 500/- per month
- National level second stage examination conducted by NCERT is arranged by all States/UTs. The same examination shall be used for selection of candidates for awarding this scholarship.
- Applicant shall not be entitled to receive any other scholarship.
- Applicant shall be required to open a joint account (with parents) with State Bank of India—the core banking partner. Such accounts are to be opened without any initial deposit/ minimum deposit charges and students will be issued ATM-cum-debit cards.
- The awardees should maintain to get a minimum of 55% marks in Class IX and XI and 60% in Class X for continuance of scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST candidates.)
- Scholarships will be paid from class IX till class XII for a maximum period of four years.
Other Eligibility conditions
An Awardee is eligible for the scholarship provided he/she:
- Takes up studies in approved courses.
- Maintains good conduct as certified by the Head of the College/Institution and continues his/her studies as a regular student in Government/Local Body/Government aided school.
- Does not absent himself/herself without proper leave.
- Takes up studies on a whole time basis.
- Does not take up any job.
- No scholarship shall be available for studies abroad for any course.
- No claim for scholarship arrears will be entertained after the expiry of 12 months of the academic session for which one has applied for the claim.
- In case any awardee leaves his/her course of study within one month of registration/admission, no scholarship shall be paid to him/her.
This scheme is launched primarily to reduce the drop-out rate in secondary schooling in the country due to various socio-economic reasons.
- Student Photo
- Institution Verification Form
- Self declaration of Income Certificate by the student
- Self declaration of community by the student
- Self Attested Certificate of ‘Previous Academic Mark sheet’ as filled in Form
- Self-Attested Certificate of Previous Year Marksheet as filled in the Form
- Fee Receipt of current course year
- Proof of Bank Account in the name of student
- Aadhaar Card (optional)
- Residential Certificate
How to Apply
The scheme is implemented through National Scholarship Portal (NSP). It is mandatory for all students to apply online on the website.
NSP can be reached here: http://www.scholarships.gov.in/