Ganga Gram Yojana
- River Ganga is a lifeline to millions of Indians as villages and cities along its course depend on it for their livelihood and well-being. The river today suffers from overuse and pollution. The details of the pollution threat can be viewed here: http://nmcg.nic.in/pollution.aspx.
- With an aim to control pollution flowing into river Ganga, the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation on 5th January, 2016 launched Ganga Gram Yojana with an aim to develop 1600 identified villages located along the main stem of river Ganga which have historic, cultural, religious importance and/or tourism value.
- These villages in 5 states (Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal) will be developed as model villages by establishing sustainable sanitation infrastructure and cleanliness practices. The programme will include comprehensive rural sanitation, development of water bodies and river ghats, construction/modernization of crematoriums.
- Ganga Gram Yojana is part of the Namami Gange Programme, an integrated mission for controlling pollution, conservation and rejuvenation of river Ganga.
First Phase of Ganga Gram Yojana
- In the first phase, 306 villages have been selected for Ganga Gram initiatives. In these villages, open drains flowing into river Ganga will be diverted and alternative solutions will be arranged for sewage treatment.
- Every household in villages along Ganga River will have toilets and water management and waste disposal in these villages will be developed along the lines of Sichewal village in Punjab. As such, 359 Gram Pradhans from UP, WB, Uttarakhand and Jharkhand have visited Sichewal for first-hand experience, exposure and learning to replicate the same village model in their respective villages.
- So far, in collaboration with Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation, 12,46,539 household toilets have been constructed in 4292 villages of 5 stem states along the course of river Ganga. The progress of this ongoing programme under Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) can be accessed here: http://sbm.gov.in/sbmdashboard/NamamiGange.aspx.
- For conditional assessment and feasibility study of these villages, IIT consortiums were entrusted in 100 identified villages, select CPSUs in 128 villages and UNDP in 78 villages.
- UNDP has been appointed for rural sanitation initiatives for Ganga Rejuvenation in 78 villages in Sahebganj district of Jharkhand to develop into a model state. For details, visit: http://www.in.undp.org/content/india/en/home/operations/projects/environment_and_energy/ganga.html.
- 65 villages have been adopted by 13 IITs to develop into model villages.
- As part of the initiative, a company of Ganga Task Force Battalion has been deployed at Garhmukteshwar town in UP to ensure industries and civilians do not pollute the river. 3 more task forces will be deployed soon at Kanpur, Varanasi and Allahabad.
- An inspection programme named Nirikshan Abhiyan was organized at Garhmukteshwar (Hapur district) and Anupsahar (Bulandsahar district). In the programme, comprehensive plans for execution along the river Ganga was prepared such as tree plantation, Ghat development, open drain diversion and revival of water body.
- A series of events, workshops, seminars, conferences and IEC activities are conducted for building citizen awareness, increasing public outreach and community participation in the cause of Ganga rejuvenation. Some of these include Ganga Manthan in 2014 and Swacch Ganga-Gramin Sehbhagita in 2015.
The Ganga Gram Yojana will help in the process of river Ganga rejuvenation by:
- Developing the villages along the Ganga as open defecation free
- Reducing direct discharge of untreated liquid wastewater from such villages into river Ganga
- Facilitating adequate infrastructure for modernized crematoriums
- Arranging for proper solid waste disposal facilities to avoid polluting river Ganga
- Promoting better sanitation practices in villages through IEC activities.
Documents Required and Application Procedure
You can find the detailed information at:
National Mission for Clean Ganga
Ministry of Water Resources,
River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation,
1st Floor, Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium
India Gate, New Delhi - 110002
E-mail ID: email@example.com