Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA)
- Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA)is a national mission inspired by the vision of transformational change in rural development processes. It aims to involve knowledge institutions to help build the architecture of an Inclusive India.
- UBA will be implemented in a phased manner. Currently, 132 villages have been adopted by 15 Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) for technology-based intervention to address huge development disparity existing in India.
- 70% of the population in India lives in rural areas, engaged in agrarian economy with agriculture and allied sectors employing 51% of the total workforce but accounting for only 17% of the GDP.
- The Mission of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan is to enable higher education institutions to work with the people of rural India in identifying the development challenges and creating location-specific solutions for accelerating sustainable growth in villages.
- This mission realizes that without rural development, India cannot optimally achieve its growth potential and claim its place in the world.
- The UBA mission is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development conceived on November 11, 2014 and it is coordinated and steered by IIT, Delhi.
- The UBA mission is designed to enable processes that link institutes of higher education with local communities for the holistic upliftment of rural India.
- Professional institutions will visit the villages to identify pressing problems and development needs of the village. These developmental challenges will be addressed through the use of appropriate technologies for accelerating sustainable growth in villages.
- Financially viable solutions will be developed through a participatory process that promote convergence of engineering institutions, local organisations, social and government resources for development goals.
- Emphasis will be given to developing solutions in areas such as sanitation, drinking water supply, energy, agriculture, education, health, etc that impact rural lives.
- UBA mission aims to empower local communities to dialogue with knowledge institutions in order to create technically sound and locally feasible development solutions that promote self-reliance.
- Additionally, grassroots organization will be provided resource support in innovating new products, and support rural entrepreneurs to develop local solutions.
- Livelihood opportunities will be created in rural areas indirectly.
- All these developmental solutions through the UBA mission will create a virtuous cycle between the society and university system for creating perpetual positive outcomes for an inclusive India.
The list of villages adopted under Phase I by respective IITs can be found here:
You can find the detailed information of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan at:
Prof. V K. Vijay
+ 91 11 26591121
Head, Centre for Rural Development and Technology,
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016 India
+ 91 11 26591157
+ 91 11 26591121