Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) is an accident insurance scheme formally launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on May 09, 2015. It is a move towards creating a universal insurance coverage for the poorest of the poor.
- The scheme will be a one year accidental death and disability cover for death or disability due to an accident, which can be renewed from year to year.
- The scheme will be offered through Public Sector General Insurance Companies (PSGICs) and other General Insurance Companies (GICs) willing to join the scheme by linking with banks for this purpose.
- Individual bank account holders of participating banks who are aged 18 years and above but less than 70 years of age are eligible for the scheme.
- The beneficiary must give consent for premium to be auto-deducted from his/her savings account.
- If an individual has multiple bank accounts, he/she will be will eligible to avail the scheme through one bank account only.
- The scheme is open to all sections of society.
- The total sum-assured for accidental death is Rs 2 lakh.
- Rs 2 lakh is the coverage for disability involving total and irrevocable loss of both eyes/loss of use of both hands or feet/loss of sight of one eye and loss of use of hand or foot
- Rs 1 lakh is the sum assured for total and irrevocable loss of sight of one eye or loss of use of one hand or foot.
- The insurance will be offered at a nominal premium of Rs 12 per annum per member, which will be auto-debited from the account holder’s bank account.
- The scheme offers protection at a minimal cost with a simple enrollment and instant processing with no medical examination required.
- The scheme aims to reach those below the poverty line and those living in remote rural areas without proper banking facilities.
- Aadhaar Card is the primary KYC document required for the scheme.
- Bank Account Details
- Recent Photograph
How to Apply
Interested individuals need to download the Consent-Cum-Declaration form from the website of the participating bank in which one has an account.
The form needs to be filled with personal details, Aadhaar Card number, registered phone number, disability status, bank account number, email id and nominee details after which it has to be submitted to the bank.
Interested persons can also give his/her consent to the scheme via sms based or email based subscription.
You can find the detailed information at:
Department of Financial Services,
Ministry of Finance,
3rd Floor Jeevan Deep Building,
New Delhi – 110001
Smt Bhumika Verma
(Dy. Director, Department of Financial Services )
011-23362129 / 23362782
National Toll Free: 1800-180-1111 / 1800-110-001
State-Wise Toll Free numbers can be accessed here: http://www.jansuraksha.gov.in/Files/StatewiseTollFree.pdf