National Scheme of Incentives to Girls for Secondary Education
Launched in May 2008, this scheme was launched as an extension to the Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya. It was introduced to promote the enrolment of a girl child in the age group of 14-18 years at secondary stage, and establish an enabling environment to reduce drop outs especially of those who passed Class VIII.
The proposed scheme is to retain the girl child upto class XIIth or upto 18 years of age.
- All SC/ST girls who pass class VIII
- Girls, who pass class VIII examination from Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalayas (irrespective of whether they belong to Scheduled Castes or Tribes) and enroll for class IX in State/UT Government, Government-aided or local body schools.
- Girls should be below 16 years of age (as on 31st March in the year of joining) when joining class IX.
- Girls applying for this benefit shall be unmarried.
- Married girls, girls studying in private un-aided schools and enrolled in schools run by Central Government like Kendriya Vidyalayas, Navodaya Vidyalayas Schools are excluded.
- An account shall be opened in the name of the beneficiary in the nerest bank/post office.
- A sum of Rs 3,000/- is deposited in the name of eligible girls as fixed deposit.
- The girls are entitled to withdraw the sum along with the interest on reaching 18 years of age.
- Birth Certificate
- Relevant Caste Certificate
- Proof of Age
- Pass result class VIII (when applying); Pass result of Class X (for receiving the grant)
How to Apply
Applications are to be submitted/ uploaded on-line over National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
To take a detailed read of the scheme, follow:
List of Nodal Officers can be accessed here: