19th May, 2019

Education allowance for differently-abled increased to Rs 54k, notifies recent DoPT order

The seventh pay commission has provided for an increase in the education allowance for differently-abled children of central government employees. The allowance has now been increased to Rs 54,000 annually, from Rs 30,000 earlier. The hike has been notified in an order issued by the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) recently.

The rules already provide that reimbursement of educational allowance for differently-abled children of government employees shall be payable at double the prescribed rate for other children. The 6th Pay Commission fixed the children education allowance at Rs 1,500 per month (Rs 3,000 for differently-abled children.) The seventh pay commission has prescribed the rate for other children as Rs 2,250 per month.

Ceiling amount

The amount of Rs 54,000 is the annual ceiling fixed for reimbursement of Children Education Allowance (CEA) for differently-abled children. The allowance is payable to the children of government employees only.

Only one parent can get reimbursement

The order also notifies that if both the spouses were government servants, only one of them could apply for the reimbursement.

Amount to be revised

The allowance cap would be raised automatically by 25 per cent every time the dearness allowance went up by 50 per cent.

Hostel amount revised

The reimbursement fixed for hostel subsidy has been fixed at Rs 6,750 per month now.

The reimbursements would be released once a year. It would be released after the completion of the financial year.

How to avail the allowance?

To avail the educational allowance, a certificate from the head of the institution (where the ward of the employee studied) would be sufficient. Also, the certificate should confirm that the child studied in the school during the previous academic year.

For the hostel subsidy, a similar certificate from the head of the institution shall be obtained provided. The document shall mention the amount of expenditure incurred by the government servant towards lodging and boarding in the residential complex.