DigiLocker Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is DigiLocker?
DigiLocker is a cloud-based platform for issuance, verification and storage of documents and certificates in a digital manner. It is one of the key initiatives launched under Digital India programme to move towards the idea of paperless governance in the country.
2) What are the eligibility criteria for availing the DigiLocker account?
DigiLocker is a national services provided to all Indian residents provided they have an Aadhaar Card at their disposal. Individuals will also need their mobile number which is linked to their Aadhaar Card number. If the mobile number is not linked yet, it can be updated with Aadhaar by visiting any UIDAI centre. Please find one near by searching the centre here: https://appointments.uidai.gov.in/.
3) What are the some of the key features of DigiLocker?
The key features of DigiLocker are as follows:
- Through DigiLocker, registered Indian residents can upload their electronic documents and digitally sign them using the e-sign feature.
- Citizens can upload scanned copies of their documents into their DigiLocker accounts.
- These digitally signed documents can be shared through registered repositories with government organizations and other agencies.
- Organizations that are registered with DigiLocker can provide electronic copies of documents and certificates such as Driving license, Voter ID and School Certificate, by pushing them directly into citizen`s DigiLocker accounts.
4) How can one sign up for a DigiLocker account?
For signing up, you need to follow these steps:
- Register yourself by signing up at the official website https://digilocker.gov.in/.
- You will need a mobile number which will be authenticated by sending a One-Time-Password (OTP).
- Then, you need to select your username and password. Your DigiLocker account is created.
- For seeking additional services, you need to provide your Aadhaar Card number which can authenticated either by OTP option or fingerprint verification.
- You can also download the DigiLocker Android App from Google Playstore for using it on your mobile device.
- You can also access your DigiLocker account if you have an online account at ICICI Bank or Kotak Mahindra Bank
5) What is the e-Sign feature offered by DigiLocker? What kind of documents can be signed using this feature?
e-Sign service is an easy, efficient and secure way of digitally signing electronic documents. With this service, any Aadhaar holder can digitally sign an electronic document without having to obtain a physical digital signature dongle. The signer is authenticated using Aadhaar eKYC services.
Using e-Sign, you can sign any document uploaded in your ‘Uploaded Document’ section of DigiLocker account. All e-Signed documents are available in the pdf format after signing. For further details on e-Sign, please visit: http://www.cca.gov.in/cca/?q=eSign.html.
6) What are key components of DigiLocker:
Each resident’s DigiLocker account has the following sections:
- Dashboard: This section is the home page you see when you login showing a summary of all your documents.
- Issued Documents: This section shows the URIs or links of the documents/certificates issued to you by government or other agencies.
- Uploaded Documents: All the documents uploaded by you. You can update the document type, esign and share these documents.
- Shared Documents: This shows all the documents you have shared with others (via email.
- Activity: This keep a log of the activities performed by user such file upload or download, esign, etc.
- Issuers: You can view all registered issuers who are part of DigiLocker.
7) What are the benefits of using DigiLocker?
DigiLocker is aimed at the concept of paperless governance. It offers the following benefits:
- Users can access their digital documents anytime, anywhere and share it online. This is convenient and time saving.
- It reduces the administrative overhead cost of Government departments as DigiLocker minimizes the use of paper.
- DigiLocker makes it easier to validate the authenticity of documents as they are issued directly by the registered users.
- Self-uploaded documents can e-signed which is similar to the process of self-attestation.
- You need not carry your documents anywhere as it can be securely uploaded in your DigiLocker accounts.
- The services are completely free of cost.
8) Is it safe to put my data in DigiLocker and share it online? What security features are implemented in DigiLocker?
DigiLocker is safe and secure to use. All precautionary measures are taken to ensure your data is protected and uncompromised. The list of security measures that are implemented are:
- Standard Software Development Practices
- 256 Bit SSL Encryption
- Mobile Authentication-based sign up
- Aadhaar Authentication-based Issued Document Access
- ISO 27001 certified Data Centre
- Data is backed up with secure redundancy
- Timed Log out
- Security Audit
- User Consent Based System
9) What are the details about the DigiLocker integration with Ministry of Road Transport and Highways? What are the benefits of this integration for citizens?
- DigiLocker has partnered with the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) for making available digital driving license and vehicle registration certificates to Indian citizens. The benefits of this integration are as follows:
- Digital driving license and vehicle registration certificates provide paperless services and minimizing the use of physical documents.
- Citizens can share the authentic digital certificates from the data source with other departments as identity and address proof resulting in reduction of administrative overhead.
- These digital certificates issued in your DigiLocker account can be spot-verified for authenticity either by validating the Digital Signature of MoRTH on the PDF copy of the document or by scanning the QR code by using the QR scan facility on DigiLocker mobile application.
10) How can one get digital Driving License and Vehicle Registration Certificates?
For getting these digital certificates, users need to ensure their Aadhaar number is linked with DigiLocker account. Once this is done, they can go to the ‘Pull Partner Documents’ section, select the issuer & document type and enter the document details asked for. This will allow them to fetch their document from the MoRTH database. Users can then save a permanent link (URI) to this digital document in their ‘Issuer Documents’ section for later use. Citizens can get their digital Driving License and Vehicle Registration Certificate on both desktop and mobile devices. Step-by-step demo for the process of fetching these documents can be seen here: https://www.slideshare.net/digilocker_ind/how-users-can-get-their-digital-driving-license-vehicle-registration-from-digilocker-66061579.
11) What are the other services which have been integrated with DigiLocker?
Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas (IOCL/HPCL/BPCL) has recently partnered with DigiLocker for providing digital LPG subscription vouchers for customers.
DigiLocker has partnered with CBSE, ICSE & ISC school boards for issuing digital academic certificates (Statement of Marks/Pass Certificate/Migration Certificate) to Class X and Class XII students. Students who have registered their number with CBSE, ICSE & ISC would receive their DigiLocker account credentials through SMS. If not registered, the students will have to create a DigiLocker account and pull their digital academic certificates from their respective board databases.
12) What is the current status of DigiLocker usage by citizens, issuers and requesters?
Currently, there are 7377729 registered users, 29 issuers and 9 requester organizations using DigiLocker services. Till date, DigiLocker provides access to 1748301941 authenticated documents, 8583559 uploaded documents and 409299 eSign documents. For details on these statistics, click on https://digilocker.gov.in/public/dashboard.